Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2013

stuffed crust pizza.


I found a recipe for homemade crusty pizza dough in our Kitchen Aid mixer recipe book and decided I had to try it! Turns out, it is so stinkin' yummy and EASY.  It's going to be hard to ever buy frozen pizza again because this is so much better.  

I put my own spin on it this last time by stuffing the crust with cheese which turned out to be a great addition.



Ingredients for crust:
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (105-115 degrees F)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used 1/4 teaspoon)
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornmeal

Ingredients for toppings:
Pizza sauce (we like Prego sauce, like what you'd use for spaghetti)
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Any other toppings 

Directions: 
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. A couple times, I made the mistake of making the water too hot which killed the yeast. It didn't rise and I was pretty bummed about it. 
2.  Add salt, olive oil, and 2 1/2 cups flour.
3.  With a mixer and dough hook attachment (this is what I use but I'm sure you could use any type of beater), mix on speed 2 (or low) for about 1 minute.
4.  Add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time.  Mix until dough clings to hook (aka forms a ball) and cleans side of bowl.  This will take another 2 minutes on the same speed.  
5.  Knead on the same speed for 2 minutes longer (again).
6.  Place dough in greased bowl.  Turn dough to grease the whole thing.  
7. Cover with towel. Let rise in a warm place, free from draft.  This will take about an hour.  It should double in bulk.  
8. When it has risen, punch dough down. Brush 14 inch pizza pan with more oil. Sprinkle with cornmeal. Press dough across bottom of pan forming a collar around edge to hold toppings. 
9.  Under the collar, add mozzarella cheese for the stuffed crust.  (I used shredded but in hindsight, I would've gotten string cheese or block cheese.)  Fold down the collar so cheese is hidden!
10.  Bake at 450 degrees for 8 ish minutes.
11.  Add other toppings (pizza sauce, cheese, etc.) as desired.
12.  Bake at 450 degrees for another 10 ish minutes.  I'd recommend checking on it though.
13.  Serve and make your belly happy!!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting... I'd love to hear from you!