Grant got this recipe from the house he lived in during college. His roommate and good friend, David found it and changed it a little bit too. It is so. good. As Grant said, it combines some of the best things in life. Bacon AND mac & cheese. So what's not to love? This is some ultimate comfort food.
8 oz uncooked elbow macaroni
4 slices bacon
8 oz boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt (I omitted this)
1 T butter
1 T flour
1 1/2 cups skim milk
5 oz condensed cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup bottled ranch dressing
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or more)
1. Cook pasta according to package.
2. Cook bacon in large non stick skillet over medium heat until crisp.
3. Remove bacon from pan. Reserve drippings in pan.
4. Chop bacon and set aside.
5. Season chicken with garlic, onion, and salt.
6. Cook chicken in bacon drippings on medium high heat for 6 minutes or until done.
7. Melt butter over medium heat in large saucepan. Sprinkle flour into butter. Cook 2 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk.
8. Combine milk and soup, stirring with a whisk, then gradually add milk mixture to saucepan and stir.
9. Bring this mixture to a boil, cook 2 minutes or until it is thickened. Add ranch dressing and 1/2 cup cheese, stir until cheese melts.
10. Preheat broil.
11. Spoon pasta mixture into an 8 inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with bacon and 1/4 cup cheese.
12. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
13. Dish up and enjoy!