Pages

Saturday, February 1, 2014

chocolate chip cookie cake.


My best friend, Laura, loves cookie cake. I can remember many occasions where she went to Kroger or Wal-Mart and picked up a cookie cake- just because she loved them.  

We don't live close to each other anymore so I was really excited when I found out she was going to be home for her birthday. That meant I got to make a birthday cake for her! I couldn't decide what kind to make and then a cookie cake occurred to me. A cookie cake... of course, a cookie cake. What else would I make?!

A few of us got together for her birthday which is a few days before Christmas.  It was wonderful to see wonderful friends during the most wonderful time of year!




This recipe also turned out to be super easy to make. I was in a rush so I didn't chill the dough. In my most humble opinion, you can skip that step if you need to do so. ;)

Ingredients
Cookie Cake
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used green & red festive Nestle holiday chocolate chips)

Vanilla Buttercream*
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 tbsp water
Instructions
Cookie Cake
  1. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
  2. Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
  3. With the mixer on low speed, add flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
  4. Stir in chocolate chips. Dough will be thick.
  5. Chill for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
  6. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  7. Place parchment paper into the bottom of your cake pan to help the cookie not stick.
  8. Spread the dough out into the cake pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden. Don't overbake!
  9. Remove from oven and let cool for a couple minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
Vanilla Buttercream*
  1. Beat the shortening and butter until smooth.
  2. Slowly add 3 cups of powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
  3. Mix in the vanilla extract and 1 tbsp water.
  4. Add the rest of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add more water to get the right consistency.
  5. Pipe or spread your icing onto your cooled cookie cake. I don't have piping bags or tips so I cut the tip of a pleated sandwich bag and piped that way.
*I kept the original recipe's vanilla buttercream combination because I didn't use exact measurements. I used some combination of heavy cream, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and food coloring. I mixed until I liked the consistency. :)

Recipe Source: Life, Love, & Sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting... I'd love to hear from you!