Basically... blueberry muffins in cake form.
I know this is totally a summer recipe but I don't care...blueberries were on sale at the store and I wanted to make a blueberry dessert! This recipe was super easy to whip up and gave me time to get other things done while it was baking- bonus! The cake part turned out amazingly moist, and I added a crumb topping which made it even more buttery and delicious- another bonus!
for the cake batter:
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening (I used butter)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- Blueberries (somewhere between 1 pint and 1 quart)
for the crumb topping (optional):
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- about 1/4 cup sugar
- about 1/2 cup flour
- cream together sugar and shortening.
- mix together 4 cups flour, 3 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt
- beat 1 egg together with 1 1/3 cups milk
- alternate adding flour mixture and milk mixture to the sugar
- mix in blueberries
- pour into 9x13 pan
- after butter is melted (for crumb topping), mix it together with sugar and flour
- crumble all over cake
- bake for 50 min in 350 degree oven