Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

strawberry applesauce {no sugar added}.


Strawberries have been on sale for the past 2 weeks at the grocery store so I have been stocking up. Besides eating large amounts of them plain, I have been on the prowl for yummy strawberry recipes. I was super excited to find this recipe. 


This was my first time making applesauce. I always figured it would take too long so I never bothered. This was delicious and easy and I can't wait to make more again with different variations. You literally cut up fruit, add water and cinnamon, and boil/simmer until you can mash it with a potato masher. Stick it in a blender until you get the consistency you like. That's all!


~
strawberry applesauce.
recipe adapted from lemon tree dwelling

ingredients:


8 cups peeled, chopped apples

4 cups fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
½ cup water (or 1 cup for thinner consistency)
1 tsp. cinnamon

directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
  2. Reduce heat and simmer until fruit is soft and you are able to mash it with a potato masher. This will take between 10-20 minutes.
  3. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
  4. Transfer applesauce to a blender and blend until smooth.

notes:

Original recipe calls for ½ cup sugar. I ommitted and applesauce was plenty sweet.

I cut recipe in half and it worked great.


2 comments:

  1. much better than that jello applesauce. remember?!? :) do you have a crockpot? that's how we make applesauce. super easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I do remember that...it doesn't sound very good though haha. And yes I do, maybe I'll try that way sometime!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting... I'd love to hear from you!