Yes, you read correctly: funfetti cream cheese cookies. Cream cheese in cookies is easily one of the best baking ideas ever. It gives cookies an extra boost of rich flavor while also making them super soft & gooey.
I didn't add quite as many sprinkles/nonpareils as suggested but it's pretty obvious when you have enough (or not enough). I also didn't chill the dough and my cookies were fine. If you are worried though, scoop out individual cookie dough and put on a plate for 10 minutes in the freezer.
These are perfect for any season or occassion- enjoy!
funfetti cream cheese cookies from the messy baker
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 stick unsalted butter
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
½ cup white granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 egg, at room-temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
~⅓ cup sprinkles
~¼ cup nonpareils
- Cream together the butter, cream cheese, both sugars until pale and fluffy; about 3 minutes. Scrap down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Whisk in vanilla and almond extract.
- Gradually add in the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Beat until the batter comes together and the dough is smooth, about 1 minute.
- Beat in all the sprinkles/nonpareils. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and give the dough one last stir to make sure the sprinkles/nonpareils are evenly distributed.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours or overnight. *I skipped this step and my cookies were fine*
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, drop dough 3 inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 12-13 minutes, no longer. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.