Have you ever had cinnamon chip scones before? For our anniversary, Grant and I stayed in a hotel and ate the restaurant there the next morning. They had the best cinnamon chip scones ever- I even ate 2! Being diabetic, I try to eat more protein at breakfast instead of the "bread-y"/high carb foods. That's why it was a huge deal I ate 2!
Within days of eating these scrumptious scones, I set out to find cinnamon chips and a killer scone recipe. I found it and I am sharing it with you- enjoy!!
cinnamon chip scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (plus a little extra for brushing)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups Hershey's cinnamon chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream (or black coffee or milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Place oven rack in middle-low position. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Dice the butter into small pieces.
- Toss the butter into the flour mixture and combine it with a pastry cutter, clean hands, or two forks until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cream, egg, and vanilla together. Drizzle it over the flour mixture and toss the mixture together gently until everything appears moistened. Slowly and gently fold in the cinnamon chips. Do not overmix. Dough will be a little wet.
- Work the dough into a ball with floured hands and transfer to the prepared baking pan. Press into a neat disc or rectangle and cut into equal wedges with a very sharp knife. Using a pastry brush or a spoon, brush lightly with a little bit of cream. Separate the scones and line them on the baking sheet with a little space between each one.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- While the scones are cooling, make the glaze by whisking the powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla together until completely smooth. Drizzle over scones right before serving.
- The scones taste best immediately but are still extremely delicious warmed up for 10-20 seconds in the microwave!