I also made these very late at night because I was picking up my friend from the airport after midnight so I had to do something to keep myself awake! Even though I made these late, I think they turned out pretty awesome.
Some notes about this recipe: I left out salt because I used some salted butter. I also just cut the butter into small pieces instead of grating it. I didn't chop the chocolate because I like the chip shape. I didn't feel like doing step 8 and 9 so I didn't. Instead I just made my scones random round shapes. This also gave me more scones, making each one a little healthier...right?
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup white sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup very cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (there's a good chance I used more than that...)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup (or more) whipping cream or half and half
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Prepare a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpat mat.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
4. Using a box grater, grate cold butter completely and add to dry ingredients.
5. Chop chocolate, and add to dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
6. In a small bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, and whipping cream. Whisk to combine.
7. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until dough comes together. If necessary, add more whipping cream a little bit at a time. Dough shouldn't be too sticky.
8. Pour dough onto floured surface, and pat into a large square approximately 2/3 inch thick.
9. Use a pizza cutter to cut into 4 smaller squares, then cut each square diagonally into a triangle for 8 total pieces.
10. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until just golden brown.
11. Enjoy warm. Store leftovers in an airtight container. But seriously, enjoy. These are the bomb.